Thursday, June 01, 2006

DPT Vaccine, Yes or No?

Last week I took Hanna in for her first check up. She had gained one pound, 6 ounces and grown 2 inches since we brought her home from the hospital a week earlier.

I was pleased to see she was gaining and had grown, and began to feel more comfortable about how our nursing was going, and have since become more relaxed about the process, and am just nursing on demand, which feels good to me.

During our visit, the doctor reviewed when our next visits would be, and mentioned that at her two month visit she should begin her vaccinations.

I was a little nervous about having this conversation with the doctor given our recent experience with medical professionals and my daughter. I mentioned that we would have to talk about her vaccinations, that I was leaning toward not vaccinating, except for maybe the polio vaccine, which I still needed to do more research on.

To my suprise and amazement, the doctor was open and friendly about this decision. She encouraged me to do the research and come and talk to her about my decisions, and we could work something out that would be right for my child.

She did encourage me to do more research on the DPT vaccine, as there was a large outbreak of Pertussis (Whooping Cough) in our area last winter. She did mention that she had been born at a good time of year, but it might be a good vaccine for her to have.

She was so positive and cooperative with me, that I took her advice and I did some research in regards to the DPT vaccine. I also did some research regarding homeopathic remedies for Whooping Cough.

There is a lot of information out there, I will give you links to the complete article that I found most informative, and I will share the main reasons I have decided against getting the DPT vaccine here.

Here's the article I found most informative, I got it from NVIC website.
http://www.nvic.org/Diseases/whooping.htm

The first point that hit home for me, as with the mumps outbreak here in the midwest, vaccines don't always work.
"The state of Washington reported 162 cases in ten months in 1984; there were no deaths, no cases of brain damage, and 49 percent of the cases aged 3 months to 6 years had been appropriately vaccinated for their age with DPT. In 1993, Cincinnati reported that 40% of children who caught pertussis were vaccinated appropriately for their age."

The second point is possible reactions to the vaccine:
"Since its development in the mid 1930’s and its widespread use by the late 1950’s, there have been repeated reports by parents and medical researchers that children were dying or being left with medication resistant convulsions, mental retardation, learning disabilities, and physical handicaps after reacting severely to pertussis vaccine. Fifty years of scientific literature in medical journals and books has documented the history of these reports."

The last of which are the "other high risk children"

"Child has had cerebral irritation in the neonatal period (such as head trauma at birth from a difficult delivery."
"Child has a personal or family history of severe allergies (such as eczema, asthma and, especially, allergy to cow’s milk."

In my opinion two of the risk factors for a severe reaction is more than enough for me.

I also found that there a multitude of homeopathic remedies for Pertussis.

Here is an excellent website I found during my research on pertussis:
http://www.hpathy.com/diseases/whooping-cough-symptoms-treatment-cure.asp

Between homeopathic remedies, my kinesiologist, my homeopathic practitioner, and of course the law of attraction I feel safe in not getting Hanna the DPT vaccine. I also feel confident in my ability to talk to the doctor and tell her why I have made that decision for my daughter.

Until next time,
Remember, You are Remarkable!

Jackie Lee

Coming soon: Conscious Pregnancy and Parenting
A program to assist people in eliminating myths and misconceptions, provide information, support and knowledge to allow families to make informed choices and feel confident in their pregnancy, birthing and parenting decisions.
For more information please feel free to contact me


No comments: