Monday, December 10, 2007

The baby who CRIED wolf.


I'm just wondering how I will ever know when something is really wrong with my darling little girl when she cries and has tantrums about everything?

Her first response to everything is just to start screaming. Is this a natural stage of babyhood or is this part of her "spiritedness"? It's hard being a first time mom, I just don't know what is 'normal' or generally to be expected and what is just Hanna being Hanna.

I keep trying to tell her to use her words, and to use her signs, but she really just screams.

It seems she screams every time I'm on the phone with my mom and she invariably asks, "what's Hanna fussing about?" Bless her, but come on ~ She's just being Hanna, there's no telling what she is fussing about now.

I have to admit I'm losing my patients with this crying and screaming. My husband seems a lot more patient with her, asking what's wrong and getting her to tell him what it is.

** But he does only deal with it for about 30 minutes a day apposed to 12 hours. **

Part of the problem is she doesn't have different sounding cries ~ it's all just screamy whinyness. I take that back when she's hurt she wails, and I get that one. Otherwise she has this really whiny loud cry she does for everything else. I don't know when it's something important and when she's just doing it to do it.

I feel bad because sometimes I will finally realize she was crying about something real. It's really frustrating, because when she's not crying she is the laughingest happy baby there is. I just wish that was the case more often.

I have read so many books trying to work this out. None of them have worked so far. I think I will try The Happiest Toddler on the Block: The New Way to Stop the Daily Battle of Wills and Raise a Secure and Well-Behaved One- to Four-Year-Old It was recommended on a 'Spirited Child' group I'm on and people say they're having pretty good luck with it.

If you've read it and have an opinion, or if you have some idea how to deal with this behavior in a loving way, please leave me a comment I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks for listening and have a great day!

Technorati Tags:
, , ,

No comments: